Monday, January 14, 2013

17 Weeks: Training - Day 15

Emma, 17 weeks, playing with a puzzle toy.
Emma spent an extra half day with me on Saturday and I was too busy over the weekend to blog about her morning.  It started at 6:50 AM after a quiet night in which she willingly went into her crate at bedtime.  I still have to carry her to her crate, but once there and presented with the open door she'll walk in now.  This is an improvement and it won't be long before she'll go to the door and wait for me to open it for her at night like Dieter does now.

After a quick run outdoors to use the bathroom we cuddled in bed and watched a bit of The Closer with the other animals.  I had four dogs and a cat in bed with me while I sipped my morning coffee.  After that I took her out and worked on two lessons for the day.  I wanted to get her breakfast in her quickly so she would be ready by 10 AM for her pick up, so we worked for half of her breakfast on Focus and the other have on Target.

Her owner was running late and we didn't transfer her until 12 PM.  She was in good humor when she met her owner and allowed us to quickly groom her before sending her off for the weekend.  We ended the week on a fantastic note and I am pleased to be starting the new week.

Today's Lessons:


Focus


Emma is working on Level 2: Step 1 Focus.  She is starting to make purposeful eye contact, though the knowledge I have treats is overshadowing her ability to look up at me.  She is doing a lot of body flopping and pawing and head jerks to see what it is I am clicking for.  She finally stopped, looked over her shoulder for a second and then very purposefully brought her eyes to mine.  I clicked and she jumped with excitement.  She is starting to understand eye contact is a tool in her toolbox.

Emma needs to continue working on Focus until she's using it as a tool in her toolbox.

Target

Emma is working on Level 2: Steps 1 - 3 Target.  In these steps she is to touch wooden, plastic and metal objects with her nose.  I had her touching a wooden spoon, a plastic lid and my metal cane wit her nose.  The cane confused her and she tended to target the rubber end or foam handle.  At one point I set it down for her explore and Max promptly picked it up and handed it to me.

When I was working on the spoon Max was touching it on the other side and I found myself laughing as he stuck his nose to it and glanced at me through the sides of his eyes.  Max wants to participate in Emma's lessons and I need to work on Mat training again with him to keep him in one location while I work with her.

Emma is doing very well on Level 2 Target.  She enjoyed touching the new objects and showed no shyness when doing so.  I will continue to work Emma on Level 2 Target this week and build up to her touching a post it note on the wall.

Observations

Emma is a quick learner and enjoys earning her kibble.  She is in the game and has started throwing many behaviors at me to see what I am clicking for.  Emma is thinking!


Level 1
Zen Target Come Sit Down
Step Completed  Completed  5 Completed  Completed 
Level 2
Zen Come Sit Down Target
Step 1 0 1 1 3
Focus Lazy Leash Go To Mat Crate Distance
Step 1 1 1 1 0
Jump Relax Handling Tricks Communication
Step 0 1 0 0 0

No comments:

Post a Comment